Ten takeaways cleansing up after a much bigger information day than normal as NFL groups minimize their rosters right down to 53 (right here’s a listing of the notable cuts)…
1. I wouldn’t commerce Khalil Mack, however I can perceive why Raiders coach Jon Gruden did it. I understand how he feels about the place his crew is—and know that he thinks it’ll take some time earlier than the roster is the place he wants it to be.
“We had a number of wants, we have been gutted,” Gruden instructed me a number of weeks in the past. “We didn’t have a linebacker that we knew of on the crew, our secondary, I feel they’re all gone. I didn’t know who the best deal with was. Donald Penn was harm. We would have liked some depth in any respect positions. … There’s nobody left right here from the 2013 draft class, not a participant. And we haven’t gotten sufficient out of our 2015, ’16 or ’17 lessons, in any respect. We gotta generate some competitors and a few depth and discover some guys.”
So right here’s the deal: If a head coach appears like his crew is a draft or two away, and he has a 27-year-old star who’s searching for a market-correcting contract, may it make sense to mission at what stage he’ll be enjoying two years from now? At that time, Mack will probably be 5 months from his 30th birthday, and if the Raiders had negotiated a take care of him (no positive factor), he’d be the most costly non-quarterback participant on the roster. Like I mentioned, I wouldn’t deal him, however the concept there’s no benefit doing it—given the haul Oakland acquired from Chicago and the place Gruden noticed the crew—is off-base. Now, Gruden higher hit on these draft picks.
2. Aaron Donald’s new contract completely was the straw that broke the camel’s again. Oakland instructed different groups that Mack wasn’t out there for weeks, however that tone modified when it grew to become clear that the kind of contract Mack was searching for wasn’t unreasonable.
3. I like this commerce for the Bears. Mack’s a generational expertise at a premium place, and absolutely the proper sort of man. One among his ex-Oakland coaches mentioned this morning, “He’s a relentless employee, nice younger man—A-plus as an individual and participant. He’s the sort of man you need in your constructing.”
They are saying cash solely makes you extra of what you already are, and that might be excellent news for Chicago. It additionally sends a robust message on behalf of Matt Nagy and Ryan Tempo to the Bears locker room: they’re able to win now. And it’s a wager on QB Mitchell Trubisky’s means to ascend rapidly and Nagy’s means to get him there, because the Bears benefit from the 2017 second total decide’s rookie contract, following a blueprint drawn by Seattle, Philadelphia and the Rams.
4. As for Mack’s contract—I wrote again in June that defensive gamers have been due for a market correction, and that is it. Ndamukong Suh’s deal in 2015 was 86% of what the highest quarterback was making. Von Miller, the highest-paid defensive participant earlier than Mack and Donald acquired their new contracts, was making 57% of what Aaron Rodgers was incomes in Inexperienced Bay. Mack and Donald acquired that quantity as much as within the vary of 69-71%, which is a giant bounce.
5. With Martavis Bryant’s launch, and reported potential suspension, I really assume that commerce was a lot worse for the Raiders than the Mack commerce.
6. Corey Coleman’s launch in Buffalo—two years after ex-Browns EVP Sashi Brown took him 15th total within the 2016 NFL draft—is a sobering reminder, on the day of the Mack deal, that draft capital is barely value what you do with it. Brown did a masterful job constructing a struggle chest of picks in Cleveland, however in maneuvering to 15 that spring, Brown traded out of spots the place he might’ve had a franchise quarterback (Carson Wentz) or Joe Thomas’s inheritor obvious (Jack Conklin).
7. The A.J. McCarron commerce is extra proof that Payments GM Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott assume there’s one thing to work with in sophomore QB Nathan Peterman. They confirmed their hand on that final fall when benching Tyrod Taylor to offer him a shot. And regardless that that transfer resulted in catastrophe (5 interceptions in opposition to the Chargers), Peterman saved transferring it ahead and had a extremely stable August, quietly making a case to begin on Sept. 9.
8. The Niners are understandably bracing for crushing information on Jerick McKinnon, who reportedly tore his ACL on Saturday. This has to significantly robust on coach Kyle Shanahan, who has a really particular thought in what he desires in every place, and as such had an in depth plan for the way he’d use McKinnon. Would’ve been enjoyable to look at Shanahan with a Swiss military knife of a participant like McKinnon.
9. An incredible step ahead for Robert Griffin III in his comeback; the Ravens fielded commerce calls on Griffin, and determined to hold him on the roster previous the cut-down deadline. That exhibits they see worth in him—even when they do wind up dealing him down the road—and that’s important progress for a man who many although was completed.
10. Terence Newman’s a terrific instance of a man who took care of himself for a very long time, did the best issues and was the correct of teammate, and he prolonged his profession because of this. He was older coming into the league (24 years previous when Invoice Parcells made him his first draft decide in Dallas, 25 when he performed in his first recreation), and nonetheless lasted 15 seasons. And for all the explanations I discussed, plus a terrific head for the sport, I feel he’ll make a extremely good coach in becoming a member of Mike Zimmer’s Vikings employees.
Associated slideshow: Studs and duds from the preseason (Supplied by Sportsnaut)